Summer is a time when the temperatures soar and lead to a lot of changes in our skin and hair. According to Ayurveda, the hot, sharp and penetrating qualities of the season can adversely affect our bodies if we are not careful. So here are some Top Ayurvedic Skin Care Tips for Summer Naturally.
In summer, the pitta dosha – subtle energy that controls metabolism and can cause us to overheat – tends to flare up when the temperatures rise. Pitta-related imbalances include sunburn, hot flashes, exhaustion, acne, and diarrhea. This season not just affects your body, but the mind too. Excess pitta can lead to anger, jealousy, and impatience.
Summer months can also be fun, if you take proper care of your skin and hair. Protect your skin from the harmful UV rays by following some of these Top Ayurvedic Skin Care Tips for Summer as suggested by Ayurveda:
- Eat Pitta Pacifying Diet: Food is one of the biggest sources of energies in our body. It is important that you eat only those food items that help cool your body and give you relief from excessive heat. Include water-rich fruits like Watermelon, Pears, Apples, Plums, Berries, and Prunes. For vegetables, eat Cucumber, Lettuce, Tomatoes, Capsicum, Cabbage, etc. as these have high water content.
- Avoid Foods that Heat: Certain foods can increase your body heat and lead to a lot of problems. Sour fruits, citrus fruits, beetroots, and carrots are best avoided in summer. Limit the intake of garlic, chili, etc. and increase salads as they are more cooling, especially during your lunch meals.
- Use Coconut Oil: Coconut Oil is the best in summer due to its cooling nature. It’s not too heavy and feels great on the skin. Ayurveda recommends a daily body massage with coconut oil before taking a bath in the summer months. It gives a calming, cooling and soothing effect to your skin. Sutatva’s Cold-Pressed Coconut Oil is a great option for your summer skin needs.
- Exfoliate: Exfoliation is very important in the summer months. You could use sugar to exfoliate, as it is believed to have a cooling effect and helps boost cell repair and retains moisture. Alternatively, you could also try a natural face scrub like the Orange Peel Scrub which contains orange peel and Red Lentils that can prevent issues like rapid ageing and acne. They can also be used to lighten the skin and get rid of tans.
- Use Rosewater as a toner: Roses are cooling and help support, soft, supple skin. They also smell good and can be used several times a day to keep your skin hydrated. Try Sutatva’s Organic Rose Water for best skin care in Summer. You can also try Rose Petal Gel which has a 3-in-1 effect of cleansing, toning and moisturizing and is great for all types of skin. It helps prevents and control acne and blemishes, leaving your skin soft and supple.
- Add Aloe Vera to your routine: Ghritakumari or Aloe Vera is a miracle plant, especially in the summer months. It helps prevent sunburns, makes the skin smooth, supple and younger looking. You can apply its gel topically, as a moisturizer or a toner. If you find it tedious to scoop out the gel from the plant, Sutatva’s Fresh Aloe Vera Gel is a great alternative. It contains nothing but pure Aloe Vera extract. Apart from this, drinking Aloe Vera Juice daily can also keep you healthy and fresh in summer months.
- Avoid Ice-Cold Drinks: Even though you may be tempted, ice cold drinks are best avoided in summer. They only inhibit digestion and create toxins, also known as ama in the body. Your digestive system has a digestive fire that is responsible for converting food into energy. Drinking chilled water puts off this digestive fire and causes several health and skin problems.
- Stay Hydrated: The intense summer heat saps up the moisture from plants and our bodies. Adding a pinch of extra salt is ok in your food in summer to compensate for sweating and prevent fatigue. Also, make it a point to drink at least 8-10 glasses of water every day to stay hydrated.
These summer tips are suggested by Ayurveda to keep you healthy, active and beautiful in summer. Try these and enjoy a healthy, beautiful season. Also, don’t forget to use a good sunscreen before you go outside to enjoy beautiful skin.
More reading here