What Causes Premature Greying?
When we think of Grey Hair, we usually associate that with Old Age and with Old People.Unfortunately this is No Longer true. In Modern Age, we are seeing more and more young people with grey hair. This is also Called Premature Greying and we are finding this in girls and boys as small as 16. It has become a common concern and thousands of men and women, are seeking medication for this. But What causes Premature Greying and How can one prevent grey hair?
- Genetics: It is proven that early graying of hair has to do with your genes. So if your parents spotted their grey hair early, chances are, you will as well.
- Poor Nutrition: Being healthy is also about eating healthy. The right kind of nutrition will give you all the nutrients for your body to function properly. If you are healthy, your hair too will show the signs. And this will also help in postponing the arrival of the gray hair.
- Thyroid: Certain Medical Problems such as Thyroid can also cause grey hair to appear early.
- Vitamin Deficiency: Certain Vitamins like B12 ,when deficient in your body can also cause Premature Grey Hair to Appear. The lack of this vitamin cause the greying of hair happen faster and earlier.
- Stress: This is not something that is entirely backed by science. However it is a known thing that with excess amount of stress, the chances of your health including your hair getting affected are high.
- Smoking: Studies have proven that those who smoke have four times higher chance of getting premature graying. So if you have not been able to kick the Butt, better do it in case you do not want early grey hair.
Ayurveda and Grey Hair
As per Ayurveda , Greying of hair is also known as palitya or akala palitya (premature graying of hair). Any Health condition as per ayurveda is caused by imbalance of Vata, Pitta or Kapha Dosha as described in our Ayurveda Page. Greying of Hair is a purely caused due to an imbalance in the Pitta Consititution of a person (related to Fire and Water). Excessive Pitta in the sebaceous glands which are fount at the hair roots, also called folliculitis, can also cause premature graying of hair.
Pitta-provoking habits such as excessive passion, anger and strain can result in grey of hair. One must also avoid beverages like alcohol, tea and coffee which have high pitta imbalance content. Intake of spicy, oily, salty and sour, fermented foods along with meat can also aggravate Pitta.
Ayurvedic Treatment to Prevent Grey Hair /Treat Grey Hair
Ayurvedic Treatment to Prevent or reverse Grey Hair is mainly aimed at balancing the Pitta Dosha condition. Ayurveda is holistic in nature and hence the balance can be achieved by correcting one’s nutrition through Diet, Supplements and Herbs; by Lifestyle Changes and Through Yoga Asanas.
Herbal Treatment to Prevent Grey Hair:
Herbs like Bhringraj one of the best natural remedies for grey hairs. Boil some dried leaves of this herb in coconut oil and leave it between a week to 10 days. Once ready, filter the oil in a dark-colored bottle.Use this hair pack color, reduce hair loss and promote hair growth.
One can make an effective hair oil by boiling dried pieces of amla and curry leaves in a base oil such as coconut oil. Cool this oil and bottle it in an amber-colored glass bottle. Use this as a massage oil twice weekly. You Can use Sutatva cold pressed coconut oil for this.
Henna is the also very good for grey hair because of its coloring and conditioning properties. Soak henna in an iron pot overnight. Then one can make a effective and deep conditioning hair mask by mixing eggs, curd and other herbs for gray hair.
Sesame or til is also another excellent remedy to reduce gray hair naturally. The seeds can be consumed after dry roasting them. Sesame seeds make a delicious add on to smoothies or they can be combined with jaggery (syrup) to make tasty laddoos. One could also supplement by doing a daily massage with Sesame oil like cold pressed sesame oil from Sutatva.
- Brahmi: One of the best herbs for greying of hair due to stress. This brain tonic is used in Ayurveda as a tranquilizer to deal with stress related conditions. One can Massage his/her scalp with brahmi oil to keep Pitta imbalance at bay.
- Add Vitamins such as B9 and B12, copper, selenium and folic acid supplements to reverse grey hair with diet.
- Stay away from refined foods such as white sugar and maida.
- Nuts / seeds make can also reverse grays.
- Foods like grains, meat , soy which are rich in protein also helps in the production of melanin.
- Sleep well at night /Sleep Early.
- Learn to manage worry and Stress by inculcating some Habits to Destress-exercise, meditation yoga etc.
- Cold and Sinus should be treated promptly.
- Never use Hot water to wash your hair. Always use Cool water or luke warm water in winters.
- Regular massages with sesame oil, castor oil twice a week will give your hairs a deeper color due to increased circulation.
- Do not use chemicals to treat / color your hair. These days there are a lot of dye based colors used by women to get different colors.These cause damage in the long run. Use a Natural Hair color like sutatva indigo hair color with henna to get a nice brown or a black color.
- It is advisable to keep the hair and scalp clean. Use a mild, natural shampoo such as sutatva sulfate free ayurvedic shampoo or natural hair cleanser from Sutatva.
- Ensure a good digestion.A sluggish liver can make your hair gray.
Following yogic practices can help to keep grey hair away
- Camel Pose or Ustrasana.
- Fish Pose or Matsyasana.
- Knees to Chest Pose or Apanasana.
- Bhramari Pranayama.
- Rubbing Nails etc.
So go ahead and take the first steps to keep your grey hair away.